Monday, November 17, 2014

Elevation Mask Training

After qualifying for the 70.3 World Championships in Austria, my dad and I decided to look at the elevation of the race. We had heard about the high altitudes and found that I will need to train for an elevation of 8,000+ feet above sea level. Seeing how us Seal Level Flat Lander train at ZERO and doing some research decided to use an Elevation Training Mask. I can adjust the mask to simulate different altitudes from 6k-21k. Today I had my first training session in the mask (which by the way has a Bane design on it from the latest Batman movie!). I started off with some basic core workouts. I had very little trouble with the mask other than trying to get it comfortable on my face. After about 15-20 minutes of core, we switched over to the weight machines and that is when I really felt the restriction of airflow. As I did more and got farther into the workout, my cardiovascular system was working over time to get oxygen to my muscles. I felt the build up of lactic acid faster then I ever had. It made my workout more and more difficult the further I got into it. By the time I was done with the weights, I was dripping in sweat and felt like i was dying but I loved the feeling! Up next was 15 minutes on the rowing machine for a "cool Down" and that was when I really felt the effects of the mask! Lifting weights and wearing the mask was one thing, but doing cardio and wearing the mask was another. 10 minutes of rowing with the mask made me feel like I was going to pass out! I have an interval date with the mask on Friday, so that should be fun and I will let everyone know how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment